Our rumen protected Methionine: Smartamine®
Methionine, generally the first limiting amino acid in dairy cows, is essential for milk production and milk protein synthesis. Because methionine content of natural ingredients is generally low, additional methionine should be provided in the feed ration to meet the cow’s nutritional requirements. Supplying methionine in the diet enables the proper amino acid balancing to optimize feed cost, help reduce N excretion, and help improve milk production performance.
Methionine, when fed to ruminants, has to be protected from breakdown in the rumen, ideally the methionine will be resistant to degradation in the rumen while having the ability to be absorbed at the appropriate level within the digestive tract.
- Smartamine® M, a coated Methionine with specific pH-sensitive polymer protects the amino acid during its passage through the rumen, ensuring its release in the abomasum and absorption in the small intestine
- MetaSmart®, a unique source of specific, pelletable Methionine for ruminants delivers excellent bio-availability and provides the needed Methionine for the rumen micro-organisms.
Smartamine® M & MetaSmart® enable animal feed professionals such as nutrition consultants, feed manufacturers, and pre-mixers to deliver nutritional solutions to their customers containing enhanced levels of methionine to ensure :
- Milk production with increased protein and higher fat
- Greater feed efficiency
- Better metabolic health and reproduction
Methionine is key to meeting requirements for milk performance, and also plays essential roles in other metabolic functions that include helping to ensure optimum reproductive performance and liver function. A supply of adequate quantities of methionine is critical for the “Transition” cow to meet energy needs for production while helping to minimize metabolic issues such as fatty liver and ketosis.
Smartamine® M, a coated Methionine designed for ruminants, in particular dairy cows, is an exclusive product patented by Adisseo and is composed of small beads of Methionine with a specific pH-sensitive coating that protects the amino acid during its passage through the animal’s rumen. Once it has passed through the rumen, the coating breaks open and Methionine is released in the abomasum (the ruminant’s last stomach), enabling its absorption in the small intestine and passage into the bloodstream allowing the Methionine to be utilized by the cow.
Nutrition consultants, pre-mixers, and/or feed manufacturers, use Smartamine M as an innovative solution in their nutritional strategy to allow a dairy herd’s milk production performance as well as the full genetic potential of the dairy cows.
MetaSmart® an ester of the analogue Methionine, is a unique feed ingredient and patented molecule from Adisseo designed to optimize AA Balancing in dairy cow rations; and can be utilized in multiple types of feeds including pelleted and liquid feed for ruminants.
MetaSmart® delivers two modes of action:
- Rumen Wall Absorption (50% bio-available): 50% of MetaSmart® is absorbed across the rumen wall to provide the supplementary methionine necessary to optimize milk protein synthesis and metabolic health.
- Rumen Activation (50% bio-available): 50% of MetaSmart® is hydrolyzed in the rumen to the analogue of methionine which has been shown to have a positive benefit on rumen fermentation increasing the energy contribution of feeds and increasing the microbial protein supply.
As per the the scheme below, only MetaSmart supplies methionine for both the animal’s requirements: it’s 50% bio-available and 50% rumen-active.
Whether you choose Smartamine® M or MetaSmart®, Adisseo is dedicated to delivering reliable nutritional solutions that will optimize the methionine status of your animals necessary forcow performance and health.
Understanding the Methionine Requirements in Ruminants
Methionine: Smart Options
The MilkPay app calculates the price of milk for the Federal Milk Marketing Orders (FMMO) that pay for components. The MilkPay app (available for use on iPhones and Android) is free.
E.lab is a web service allowing customers to post analytical requests and clearly identify samples prior to shipping them to Adisseo laboratory. They can continuously monitor the status of their request (receipt of samples, analysis in progress, expected completion date, etc.) and directly access the final results.
Last product’s news
- Adisseo Reinforces Ruminants Dominance With New Smartamine M PlantSource: Feedinfo News Service (dated 19/10/2015) 19 October 2015- After 18 months of work, Adisseo opened its new Smartamine® M production unit in Commentry, France two weeks ago. The new plant, which produces methionine featuring a protective pH-sensitive polymer coating to ensure passage through the rumen, supports Adisseo's efforts Read more.
- Annual Wine and Cheese event hosted by AdisseoOnce again Adisseo steps up to the plate with another successful Wine and Cheese social and thought provoking presentation at the JAM Meeting 2015 in Orlando, Florida. More than 180 Professors, Graduate students and Field Nutritionists attended. Dr. Charles Schwab was the featured speaker who embraced the subject of: “Are Read more.
- Methyl donors presentationOn Monday, July 13th , Adisseo will sponsor a Wine and Cheese reception at the ADSA-ASAS Join Annual Meeting in Orlando. The event was introduced by Adisseo 9 years ago and is becoming a “tradition” at the meeting. The goal is to have a presentation that challenges the audience to Read more.