Our rumen protected Methionine: Smartamine® & MetaSmart®
Smartamine® & MetaSmart®
Methionine, generally the first limiting amino acid in dairy cows, is essential for milk production and milk protein synthesis. Because methionine content of natural ingredients is generally low, additional methionine should be provided in the feed ration to meet the cow’s nutritional requirements. Supplying methionine in the diet enables the proper amino acid balancing to optimize feed cost, help reduce N excretion, and help improve milk production performance.
Methionine, when fed to ruminants, has to be protected from breakdown in the rumen, ideally the methionine will be resistant to degradation in the rumen while having the ability to be absorbed at the appropriate level within the digestive tract.
- Smartamine® M, a coated Methionine with specific pH-sensitive polymer protects the amino acid during its passage through the rumen, ensuring its release in the abomasum and absorption in the small intestine
- MetaSmart®, a unique source of specific, pelletable Methionine for ruminants delivers excellent bio-availability and provides the needed Methionine for the rumen micro-organisms.
Smartamine® M & MetaSmart® enable animal feed professionals such as nutrition consultants, feed manufacturers, and pre-mixers to deliver nutritional solutions to their customers containing enhanced levels of methionine to ensure :
- Milk production with increased protein and higher fat
- Greater feed efficiency
- Better metabolic health and reproduction
Methionine is key to meeting requirements for milk performance, and also plays essential roles in other metabolic functions that include helping to ensure optimum reproductive performance and liver function. A supply of adequate quantities of methionine is critical for the “Transition” cow to meet energy needs for production while helping to minimize metabolic issues such as fatty liver and ketosis.
Smartamine® M, a coated Methionine designed for ruminants, in particular dairy cows, is an exclusive product patented by Adisseo and is composed of small beads of Methionine with a specific pH-sensitive coating that protects the amino acid during its passage through the animal’s rumen. Once it has passed through the rumen, the coating breaks open and Methionine is released in the abomasum (the ruminant’s last stomach), enabling its absorption in the small intestine and passage into the bloodstream allowing the Methionine to be utilized by the cow.
Nutrition consultants, pre-mixers, and/or feed manufacturers, use Smartamine M as an innovative solution in their nutritional strategy to allow a dairy herd’s milk production performance as well as the full genetic potential of the dairy cows.
MetaSmart® an ester of the analogue Methionine, is a unique feed ingredient and patented molecule from Adisseo designed to optimize AA Balancing in dairy cow rations; and can be utilized in multiple types of feeds including pelleted and liquid feed for ruminants.
MetaSmart® delivers two modes of action:
- Rumen Wall Absorption (50% bio-available): 50% of MetaSmart® is absorbed across the rumen wall to provide the supplementary methionine necessary to optimize milk protein synthesis and metabolic health.
- Rumen Activation (50% bio-available): 50% of MetaSmart® is hydrolyzed in the rumen to the analogue of methionine which has been shown to have a positive benefit on rumen fermentation increasing the energy contribution of feeds and increasing the microbial protein supply.
As per the the scheme below, only MetaSmart supplies methionine for both the animal’s requirements: it’s 50% bio-available and 50% rumen-active.
Whether you choose Smartamine® M or MetaSmart®, Adisseo is dedicated to delivering reliable nutritional solutions that will optimize the methionine status of your animals necessary forcow performance and health.
Understanding the Methionine Requirements in Ruminants
Methionine: Smart Options
The MilkPay app calculates the price of milk for the Federal Milk Marketing Orders (FMMO) that pay for components. The MilkPay app (available for use on iPhones and Android) is free.
Thanks to a network of worldwide analytical laboratories, Adisseo brings to its customers reliable and specific analytical services in various fields of activity. It is directly accessible online through E.lab, a web platform that allows customers to submit analytical requests, follow the progress of samples from submission to results and directly access results including certificate of analysis and comments from Adisseo technical managers.
Last product’s news
- Adisseo Dairy Nutrition Conference – November 2019Adisseo to share their Amino Acid Balancing Expertise with European Customers Antony, France (October 30, 2019) … At its upcoming Ruminant Conference 2020 Vision & Beyond on November 13-14 in Paris, Adisseo will bring together key researchers and users worldwide for presentations on the latest research findings in amino acid Read more.
- Research: Supplemental Methionine Supports Dairy Reproductive PerformanceThe reproductive efficiency of dairy cows is at the very heart of successful dairying. Timely calvings are critical to herd performance. The first-service conception rate of dairy cows was approximately 65 percent in 1951 but dropped to 40 percent by 1996. The decrease was widespread, having been documented in the Read more.
- Research: The role of methionine in dairy production:Increased milk production, milk protein, and milkfat Extensive research during four decades shows that feeding supplemental, encapsulated methionine increases milk, milk protein, and milkfat. Precisely balancing amino acid levels in the ration allows nutritionists to economize the total protein level fed. In today’s dairy rations, methionine is typically the first Read more.
- Research: Feeding supplemental methionine helps dairy cow healthResearch in the use of supplemental methionine in dairy rations continues to expand as methionine has come to be recognized as an essential nutrient for dairy cows. One focus in this expansion is cow health. Particularly critical to dairy cow health are the weeks immediately after parturition. During the transition Read more.
- New Research Highlights the Role of Rumen Protected Methionine in DairyAlpharetta, GA (August 5, 2019) Researching the benefits of feeding rumen protected methionine and methionine analogues continues to receive significant interest. Nearly 60 new methionine-related abstracts were presented during this summer’s annual meeting of the American Dairy Science Association (ADSA). The ADSA annual meeting, reportedly the most comprehensive dairy science Read more.